Wednesday, August 18, 1999

0070

Spent yesterday in town with Jack and Lenore, and, among other things, I looked at that '82 Toyota pickup, and am pondering whether or not to buy it. It won't get the same gas mileage as the Tercel, and that's an important consideration. But I've been hauling all kinds of stuff with the Tercel as if it were a truck, and I think its days are numbered. And if I need a truck to do what I'm doing, better a Toyota or Datsun than a big Chevy or Dodge.

Today is another chilly, dreary day, raining off & on all day. I bring some veggies to the corner store, they meet Tracy's approval, and he buys them.

The tomatoes are very thick and verdant, but are way behind schedule in producing ripe fruit. Oats growing nicely, but my methods for hand harvesting are very inefficient. Potatoes now ready to be dug en masse, sweet corn is almost ready to pick, green beans continue to produce well, several little watermelons getting big, and lots of pie pumpkins, including a few that appear to be almost ripe. Apples are ripening nicely, I should pull the onions and beets soon, and carrots any time... So the garden is entering the heavy harvest stage, with some successes and some disappointments.

No comments: