Sunday, August 8, 1999

0067

Cool, but sunny & dry as I bike to church and back home. Wayne, Pat and grandkids are enjoying the moderate weather out on their deck, the radio music wafting all the way up to my place. After lunch, I go out to pick raspberries, since I didn't do so before Mass. I'm almost done when I hear someone knocking on my back door. I hadn't heard a car drive up. I look up; it's a squad car. I holler from the garden, and walk to the house.

The officer greets me: "Mr. DePyper?"

"Yes."

"Your wife wants you to call her right away."

"Oh, geez, now what?"

"There's no message, except to call her... Do you need a ride somewhere?"

"No, that's OK. I guess I can call from the neighbor's phone. I know they're home."

The patrol car backs down the driveway and on his way, while I follow on foot, then cross the road. The radio has been turned off, and everyone is looking in my direction as I approach. I call out, "Say, Pat, could I please use your phone for a minute?"

"Why, sure, Jerry. Come on into the house."

Several faces still looking intently at me as I walk up the steps. Justin blurts out, "You weren't coming to complain about the loud music?"

"Is that why you're all staring at me?" I laugh as I see how it must have looked to them. "No, I didn't call the cops on you! But I do need to make a phone call."

Justin breathes a sigh of relief, and I'm still chuckling as Pat leads me inside, hands me the phone, then goes back outside. "Talk as long as you want," she calls back.

"Thanks." I dial Lenore's number, and wait for her to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Hi, it's me. What's up?"

"Oh, your sister Phyllis just called me, because she didn't know how to get ahold of you. So I called the police; I know they do that sort of thing."

"Well, yes, you're right, and here I am. Now, what's up?"

A pause. "Honey -- your father passed away suddenly this morning."


"Oh."


Nothing much to say after that. No, it's better that I call Mom myself. Yes, I have a calling card with which to make the call. Yes, I'm pretty sure the Toyota will make the trip. And, can you be ready to leave right away in the morning? Then I say good-bye, hang up and go back outside.

Derek and Justin are throwing the football back and forth. I'm walking back toward the road when I hear Derek shout, and turn my head just in time to catch his pass to me. As I do so, Justin takes off and breaks to his left. I give him the perfect lead, and he catches it in stride. Now Derek breaks, and Justin rifles it to him. Justin asks what the phone call was about. I catch Derek's pass, throw it back and say, "My Dad just died."

"Oh."

I ride my bike to the public phone in the park and call Mom. Then back home, and pack a few things for the trip to Mankato.


It's a Catholic thing. I'm loathe to leave my garden untended for several days while I'm away. So, I call upon the most logical person for help - my Dad. This is where the Communion of Saints really comes in handy. Probably Dad's first prayer request:

"You know, Dad, how much I was looking forward to showing you my little farm. Well, here it is. Not much, I'll grant, but it's all I've got. And I need you to watch over it for a few days while I go to your funeral. Keep those pesky deer from eating all the sweet corn while I'm gone, OK? And -- thanks, Dad."

No comments: