Saturday, July 24, 1999

0056

After an early lunch, I start installing the drains for the bathroom - looking forward to taking a real, sit-down bath soon. But the crucial, newly purchased double tee fitting is cracked, and I remember this was the last one in stock, so I can't do anything - Aaaaargh!

I take a look at the shopper ads, and decide to bike 3/4 mile to check out a neighbor's garage sale. I find several useful items, including a stainless steel kitchen sink. Use his phone to order another double tee. I'll come back with my car for the big items.

Check out another ad within biking distance. Here's a young man, used to be a preacher, then a teacher; now he's building a farmstead from scratch with, as much as possible, used lumber and other materials. We talk for over an hour about sustainable farming, non-consumerism, and he tells me about his goat, chickens, and ideas. A breath of inspiration.

No comments: