Thursday, July 1, 1999

0046

First harvest item this morning - a nice bucket of peas. Slow work, shelling them out, but the joy of anticipation makes it an easy chore. Picking peas The net yield is over a quart of shelled peas, which I cook up, together with leftover chicken and potatoes, for my noon meal. I'll eat a portion, and freeze the rest, the beginning of my winter larder.

The first forkful takes me back to my family's garden when I was growing up. Store-bought peas are insipid compared with peas right out of the garden - so tender and sweet, they practically melt in your mouth. You know, that helping of peas went down so easily, I think I'll have another small portion. Man, is that ever good! O, yes, I've got chicken and spuds here, too - better remember to eat a balanced meal. Well, maybe just another spoonful. It's not just the taste, is it? It's kinda like Gatorade, filling a deep-down body hunger. These things have got to be just bursting with vitamins and antioxidants and other stuff my system wants.

Let's see now, how much do I have left in the pot for the freezer? Huh! Imagine that - just half a cup or so. O, what the heck, I might as well eat those now, too. The winter larder can wait a few more days.

No comments: