Thursday, July 8, 1999

0048

Raining steadily as I rise, and it looks like an all-day storm, so after breakfast, I put together a nice, big batch of bread, and set it to rise. During a brief lull in the rain, I pick peas from the south patch, and some lettuce. Back in the house, shucking the peas with the radio on. Hear an appeal for sandbaggers over in Floodwood. Sounds serious. Should I drive 60-70 miles in the rain to see if I can help? Hurry to get the second rising done, and the bread baked, and finish processing the peas while that's going.

Now that I'm caught up, it's starting to sound like less of an emergency than an inconvenience to motorists. I'll find work to do around the house.

Another brief break in the storm this afternoon. Take the opportunity to go get the mail, and check on things in the wet and verdant garden. Mother Nature is certainly busy -- asparagus seedlings finally emerging, and the first pumpkin blossom (a lone female).

No comments: