Thursday, July 22, 1999

0054

My low-flush toilet arrived yesterday; will have to work on installing that when I can.

After my early morning pumpkin blossom / wild raspberry routine, I decide to mow my lawn again. Over 4 hours in 90-degree heat, I break a real nice sweat. Then pick more beans and peas for my table.

Ironically, the sweltering heat has me thinking of getting prepared for the cold weather, while I have the chance. I have my eyes on the two maple trees at the edge of the east woods, which shade the strawberries from the forenoon sun. So, I get that ax head that the boys found, sharpen it as best I can, and then rummage in the shed for an orphan handle. Find one the right size, but with a broken end. So I make myself comfortable with chisel, knife, and file, and shape the end to accommodate the ax head. Pound the head on, wedge it in place with some roofing nails, and, voilá! Take a few swings; it seems balanced. Getting too late to start tonight, so I call it a day.

No comments: