Saturday, May 29, 1999

0029

Picked up the repaired cylinder from Arnold yesterday. Rod connection repaired, and the leathers replaced, everything like new.

"I can't tell you how much you've saved me Arnold. How much do I owe you?"

"Eight dollars for the new leathers, and my time."

"You gotta be kidding."

"Eight dollars."

"One more question?"

"Go ahead."

"This whole thing started because I was getting sand in my water. Anything I can do about that?"

He smiles, his eyes crinkling. "Throw a couple quarts of clean pea gravel down the well before you put the pipe back down. That should filter out the sand."

"Pea gravel? That's all?"

"Pea gravel."


That was yesterday. Now I've thrown some pea gravel down the well, and Justin is up again to help me lower the pipe. He mans the pipe vice as I lower the pipe, same as before, only it's much easier work lowering. Plus, we're doing it one section at a time, the way you're supposed to!!

With the top section of pipe and rod sticking up a few feet, I lift the housing up and over, and thread it down onto the pipe. As I lift, Justin removes the vice altogether, and I lower the pump into place, and reconnect the handle.

OK, here's the test. Get a clean bucket, and hang it on the spigot. Start pumping. Within a few strokes, there's water. Empty the first bucket - the water is picking up a little film of oil from all the handling of the pipes. Justin takes his turn pumping; we're both enjoying this immensely. After a few buckets, the water is running clear and cool. And NO sand!

Smiles, pats on the back, and a victory celebration. Almost feel like doing an end-zone dance. More than anything, a grateful prayer of blessing upon Arnold. Eight dollars. Amazing. Pea gravel. God bless that man.

No comments: