Wednesday, May 26, 1999

0028

The bandaged hand has been a handicap for several days as I've gone about planting potatoes, weeding, and doing other chores. Now it has healed enough for me to work a pipe wrench, and i manage to get the twisted well pipes dismantled. During this process, I learn that the rod through the center is also coupled section by section, and I could have been dismantling the whole thing one section at a time, as Justin and I raised it. What a dope! Well, I was ignorant of how wells are constructed; now I know a little better.

I can hammer the bent rods and get them reasonably straight again. I load the three bent sections of pipe along with the cylinder, and make a trip to town. I drop the cylinder off at Arnold's, who will correct the broken rod connection, then take the pipes to be cut and rethreaded at Hardware Hank. Have to buy a new length of pipe, too, cut and threaded to make up for the amount of bent pipe that is cut off. This whole process has been rather painful, but my confidence is growing that I will get my well back, finally.

No comments: