Thursday, May 20, 1999

0025

I've had to spend a couple days in the garden to get caught up on planting, and on hoeing the very hardy weeds. Then, Tuesday was rainy off and on all day, so I started making plans for introducing some indoor plumbing into the house.

The small room upstairs along the middle of the south wall is the most likely candidate for conversion into a bathroom. I have obtained some information on composting toilet systems. I'm thinking of the Sun-Mar Centrex style, with the composter located in the basement, and a one pint flush toilet upstairs. This will require a two pipe drain system, with the grey water from the sink and tub separate. So I spent most of my time just noodling, scratching my head, measuring, and making tentative plans for what I'll need to buy on my next trip to town.

Finally, this afternoon, I turn back to the broken pump. I'll need to lower (and, hopefully, later, raise?) things pretty much straight up and down. So, I get up on the pump house roof and remove one roof panel, and cut a hole in the roof board directly above the well.

The confidence and hope I felt after talking with Arnold are now waning. It feels kinda weird, and a bit disconcerting, to be working toward a goal with only the vaguest notion of what I ought to be doing to get there. But, I remind myself that, without a good well, all my other plans - for indoor plumbing, a wind generator, a sustainable garden - are pretty futile. And so... Lord willing, weather permitting, tomorrow I work on the well again.

No comments: