Wednesday, May 12, 1999

0021

Lenore welcomes me affectionately, as always, when I drive up behind her house. I use her phone to call Willie, and get his answering machine. I hang up. While filling up several milk jugs with tap water, I relate yesterday's developments, and Lenore sympathizes.

"When can I come out and see your new place?," she asks.

"Not much to see, I'm afraid."

Does my reluctance to drive Lenore back and forth reflect an earnest reluctance to expend gasoline, or is it mere selfishness? I do still need to get those bee boxes out there and set up some time soon.

"How about today?"

"Oh, that would be nice. Right after lunch, OK?"

I call Willie again, this time leaving a message with Lenore's number as the callback. Then I load as many bee boxes as I can fit into the Tercel. Really could use a truck at times.


Dipping water from the creek I was right; there really isn't much to see yet. The house is pretty much a wreck, and nothing much to look at yet in the garden, but Lenore acts duly impressed. Show her the strawberry patch; they seem to need watering. Wish I'd noticed that yesterday, when I had a well. We take buckets down to the creek, and carry creek water back for the thirsty strawberry plants.
Back at Lenore's place. Willie has left a message. He says I'll need to jack the pump housing up and disconnect the cylinder. Then he can come out and look at it, and advise me further. I don't really know what that means, but he's the doctor.

No comments: