Saturday, October 23, 1999

0096

No, I'm no Luddite. I keep coming back to the Amish and Mennonites as role models. Not a rejection of technology, but a careful, critical selecting of only the best technology, that which is truly beneficial, and not just more wasteful gadgetry. I would really like to wean myself from the internal combustion engine; there's an example of poor technology, extremely wasteful. But I don't yet have the resources to keep a horse or donkey, and I don't know how else to haul stuff around.

So, after splitting and stacking more wood this morning, I spend some time changing spark plugs in the 'new' 1983 Toyota pickup, to get it running a bit more efficiently and reliably. Then back to the firewood, finally getting all the wood stacked from those tress felled last spring behind the strawberry patch.

Get my grass blade and hack down the wild, unruly raspberries and other brambles surrounding the unused outhouse and chicken coop. I would really like to expand the garden into this space; I wonder if I can move these two little structures back out of the way?

No comments: