Tuesday, September 14, 1999

0083

The monsoon continues - rained off & on all night, and continues today, so I'm in the basement tinkering with the furnace's electrical system.

I'd like to heat solely with wood this winter, but this is a pretty big house, and I'm not sure how well one stove in one downstairs room will work. My idea is that maybe I can override the automatic furnace controls and use its blower and ductwork to move warm air throughout the house. After studying and rearranging the wiring, I succeed in getting the blower to come on without firing the furnace. Then I put things back the way they were. Or, at least, I try. ("The red wire was attached to this screw, right? Or was this black wire connected over here? Oh, my.") Now I'm confused, and I can't get the furnace to come on automatically with the thermostat.

You know, maybe I was counting on this furnace more than I was admitting to myself. I had a few fires going back in April and May, but that was pretty mild weather. Goofing up my furnace like this kinda has me worried, to be honest. Can I do this? Can I keep this old house heated through a whole northern winter, using just wood and a single wood stove? Well, if I can't get the furnace running again, I'll be forced to answer that question the hard way.

No comments: