Monday, September 6, 1999

0079

Spent Friday morning cleaning & organizing some more and baking some quiche and apple pie. Phyllis, Ray, & Mom came around midafternoon. Phyllis & Ray stayed in the Stockade Motel in town, while Mom stayed out here with me. Too wet & foggy for sight-seeing, but they seemed to enjoy seeing my old homestead and hearing of my plans for it, tramping through the woods, picking veggies, sitting around, talking about family & religious matters as well as farm life, a good family experience. On both Friday & Saturday night, Mom & I played rummy till bedtime. And not a word of complaint about my primitive accommodations; she's a humble lady.

Sunday, I drove Mom to town where we met Phyllis & Ray, then to Lenore's for Mass and french toast after. Then they drove back to Mankato with some veggies in their trunk, and I came back home, too.

Today I occupy myself with various things. Clean out the extra shed for some firewood storage. Start chopping up some of the old oak logs that have been lying outside for years, discarding the real soft parts.

Decide to open up the bee hive, and extract by hand a small amount of honey - about 3 pounds of nice, light honey. Should really find an extractor to do a better job.

Pick carrots and corn for supper, and freeze 4 portions of corn. The 2nd planting is starting to get overripe now.

No comments: