Wednesday, April 21, 1999

0014

I pull the rototiller out to the yard. I'd like to have a small plot here, too, right in the mowed area, over near the chicken coop. Might as well see how this thing works.

Hard to start. Doesn't want to fire, and the recoil isn't working smoothly. Fiddle around, adjust the throttle; I'm working up a sweat just pulling the cord so much. Finally it fires and takes off running. Engage the clutch, ease her down to start tilling - whoa! it's pulling me forward and just jumping over the ground, barely scratching the surface. Try again. Hold her back, make her dig into the sod... dang! I just can't hold back hard enough, and when I do manage to force the tines into the sod, the engine dies again.

After several attempts, I give up. I think this thing would till soil OK, but I won't be able to use it to break sod. Put it back into the shed, and get the spade. I have to laugh at myself bitterly - now at least I know where to draw this particular line.


This afternoon, Willie comes out to look at my well. I tell him as much as I know - that the well was unused for some time, if that means anything. I pump a bucketful for him, and show him the sand. He ponders for a moment.

"Hard to say. Could be a crack or hole in the casing. Or some sand has filtered through. You might try just pumping and pumping, and see if you can pump all the sand out. If it doesn't clear up, give me another call, and we'll try something else."

"How much pumping do you think it will take?"

"Pump it a lot, every day for a couple weeks. Pump fast; see if you can pump the well dry."

"OK. Sounds like a plan."

I thank Willie, especially since this advice was gratis; no charge for the trip. He drives away, and I pump several buckets right away. Can't pump it dry. But changing buckets takes time, so I rig up some scrap sheet metal into a makeshift trough, propped up to carry water from the spigot to spill onto the ground outside the pump house. Now I don't have to empty buckets. I pump and pump and pump and still can't pump the well dry. And there's still sand coming out. I'm pooped; call it a day.

No comments: