Saturday, April 10, 1999

0009

It's been chilly and rainy all week, so I've been in town mostly. I did succeed in procuring a used kitchen table and 4 chairs for $35, and a used cot for $10, which I loaded into my little Tercel and brought out during the week. The rain has helped to melt the remaining snow, and the last couple days have been warmer. Today it's dry as well, so I have come out with some boxes of basic supplies, and tools, to start a little work.

After arriving and unloading, I walk down my 300 foot driveway to the road to scope things out, then across the road to meet my new neighbors. They're out on the deck as I approach and introduce myself. Three of their grandchildren are there. One of them, a cute blonde (maybe 8 years old? 10?), offers me some candy. Sweet. We chat for awhile, and I tell them a little of my hopes and plans. I take my leave, and tell them I'll be working down by the road here, putting in a mailbox.

I have just started pulling material together when the cute blonde, Erin, and her brother Justin come up to help. And they do help, measuring, holding one end of the piece that I'm cutting, etc. Justin, me, and mailbox I remember helping my Dad in this same way when I was a boy. Good memories; maybe this is a good memory in the making. Wayne (Grandpa) helps, too, lending a saw for a finish cut. Soon the mailbox is in place; a good neighbor experience.

Saying thanks, I walk back up the hill to the house. Inside the pump house, I hang a five gallon bucket on the pump spigot and work the handle. I get water, but it's a dull green color. Gross, but not surprising. I suppose it's been years since this well has been used, so the water inside the casing is stagnant. Dump the bucket, fill it again. By the third bucketful, it's starting to clear up, but I think I'll bring drinking water out with me next week, just to be safe.

I spend a couple hours digging test holes here and there, and decide to start garden plots in three locations: on the north slope of yard between the house and road, near the house in the yard, and farther back, where the ground has a slight southward slope. I spade up a 10' x 10' plot in this location, then head back to town.

No comments: