Tuesday, April 20, 1999

0013

The Amish genius lies in drawing a line. Contrary to the popular stereotype, they are not anti-technology, but carefully choose what gadgets they will allow to become part of their lives. So much and no further.

Well, I'm not Amish, and I don't have a council of elders to draw the line for me, so I'll have to draw one myself. I'm just not sure yet where to draw it.

This is the conversation I have with myself as I drive back to my new home, since I have just spent $50 getting an old rototiller fixed up. It's in the back end of my little Tercel along with some more tools, planks, etc. (maybe a light pickup would be better in the long run?) I also have three buckets full of strawberry plants, thinnings from our old city garden. I've spent the morning doing that, with the permission of the new owners.

Willie, the local well expert, will drop by sometime this week to look at my well, and advise me. I managed to get hold of him over the weekend (maybe I should get my own phone service, too.)

After unloading, I spend the afternoon and into the evening digging ten circles, about 6 feet in diameter, in a new location, close to the east woods, behind the house. Into each circle I transplant 10 or 12 strawberry plants, and give them each a douse of water. Sometime later, before they start to run, I will dig between the circles. It's good to have some land. This strawberry patch alone will be twice the size of the entire city garden.

No comments: