Friday, March 19, 1999

0006

The paperwork has gone back and forth without a hitch, and closing is set for the 31st. I continue to do little things around Lenore's house, and arrange my finances. No mortgage; I'm buying with my own money.

Only one other note worth mentioning: the property tax. John bought this as an 80 acre parcel, and has just split it four ways. I'm buying the 20 with the buildings, of course, which rightfully carries the bulk of the tax burden. Pro-rated from previous years, the figure for the 20 acres should comes to less than $500. I'm thinking once I get a good garden established, maybe a few chickens, etc., that I should be able to generate $1000 per year. I think this is realistic. To try to make more would not be feasible without mechanized equipment, which goes against the whole notion of why I'm doing this in the first place. This place will have to be self sufficient; it will have to generate enough income to meet expenses. So, if I can make $1000, less $500 for property taxes, that leaves another $500 per year for a very frugal way of life. I think I can do this.

No comments: