Wednesday, March 10, 1999

0004

I have procured some U.S. soil maps of Douglas County. They indicate that the land in Oliver is mostly clay, while the soil further south is lighter. In calling around, I happen to find the soil scientist who remembers doing the survey in Oakland, remembers the very section of land that I'm interested in buying. It might be a bit too sandy for agricultural purposes. But ideal for putting in a conventional septic system - sandy top layer, clay deeper down.

But what I keep thinking about are the trees, for firewood. The house and buildings in Oakland I need to see this Oakland place again, so I drive out there today, without John this time, and tramp around in the snow, just to get a better feel for the place. It's even more heavily wooded than what I first thought: pacing it off, it seems to be over half wooded. 10 acres of trees!

The area close to the road and house is mostly clear. I have my spade with me, and find a couple areas where I can dig, under the melting snow. It is sandy, but I think it will grow things OK. I'll be able to scope that part out in due course. I go into the pump house, and work the handle a few times. Water comes out. Good.

Maybe I drove out here today because the land was calling to me. At any rate, I'm coming to terms with what I must do. This part of the transaction is like Pinochle bidding; you've got to have a number in your head beyond which you will not reach. But you never tell the other guy what that number is, and you never show your cards. Without necessarily mentioning the Oliver place, I must get John to match that lower price.

No comments: