Friday, March 12, 1999

0005

I called John later Wednesday evening, telling him my finances just won't allow for his asking price. I suggested a lower price, even lower than my Pinochle number (the price of the Oliver place). John is a pretty bad actor, giving me the song and dance about picking on a weak old man who's just trying to scratch out a meager living. But that's OK, it's the way John plays this game. He said he'll have to think about it. I replied that I'm also looking at another place, so I'll have to decide before too long. May as well show John that I know how to play the game, too.

John called while I was out yesterday, and left a message that he supposes he can come down, but not as far as my low offer. His come-back offer is better, but still a little higher than my Pinochle number. So I called him back; this time I got his machine. I offered him the Pinochle number, take it or leave it, that's really as high as I can afford.

I just got a call from the realtor who acts as John's agent. She says John has decided to accept my offer; may she send me the paperwork to get things rolling? I say Yes.

Looks like I'll be buying the Oakland place.

No comments: