Friday, May 19, 2000

0139

Hard frost during the night. Lost all uncovered tomatoes and pumpkins. Potatoes will recover, I think. Even the hardy peas were damaged. Well, that's the risk of planting early. Nothing to do for it but start again. So I spend the day replanting pumpkins, and spot replanting of green beans that had emerged and died. Surprisingly, the newly emerged sweet corn looks OK. So I go ahead with the 2nd planting of corn, too.

The mail brings a new tax assessment; they have tripled the per-acre assessment of the land value, with no explanation why. Do they think this is a platinum mine? I suppose there's some kind of an appeal process; wonder how complicated that might be. In any event, a tripled assessment is neither just nor affordable, so I start to compose a letter to my friendly assessor. I feel tired.

No comments: