Friday, April 14, 2000

0133

Having a renewed sense of purpose and focus - a consciousness of how my work may fit in with a higher end - has boosted my energy level. The warm spring weather helps, too.

The new garden season is getting in gear. I've been wielding the spade, expanding the garden in the southeast corner, close to the woods and swamp, planting peas and salad onions, weeding the strawberries, and establishing a nice chamomile bed from volunteer plants. I set the empty bee boxes out as a catcher hive - maybe I'll get lucky and attract a swarm. The firewood is cut & stacked in three stacks, about 4 logger cords total. When rain or snow fall, I work indoors, fishing wires up to the attic and down to light and switch boxes, and laying out plans for a better kitchen arrangement.

Today is a mixture of jobs. Outdoors, I hack down some brambles and break more sod, and finish weeding the strawberries. I nail a couple pieces of old corrugated metal onto the holey roof of the outhouse.

In the yard, I notice several hundred sparrows pecking at something in the winter-dead grass. What can they all be finding at this time of year? Bugs? Seeds? From my perspective, there seems to be nothing worth pecking at. The sparrows obviously disagree, and so I must confess to being obviously clueless. The curious rhythms of nature are a frequent puzzlement to me. My little sphere of consciousness and busy-ness overlaps a billion other little spheres, with huge expanses of non-intersection. This unexpected flock of little birds follow their mysterious pursuits as I follow mine. I do not fathom their reasons. They seem oblivious to mine. Be content to observe and enjoy their fleeting company. In another moment, they are gone.

Indoors, I transplant a couple more tomatoes (approx. 40 seedlings growing now), and finish wiring the switches for the stair and upstairs hall lights.

Good energy and a productive pace of work lately, neither lethargic nor manic/hyper. Thank You, Lord.

No comments: