Friday, June 18, 1999

0038

The garden is looking more and more like a garden: long rows and beds of carrots, beets, onions, beans, peas, forming a quiltwork of rectangles in various shades of green, a very attractive geometry. The potatoes are making blossoms, indicating they are also starting to form little potatoes underground.

I will have to make some adjustments from my tiny garden in the city. For one thing, this soil is not nearly as rich. To compensate, I will not garden as intensively, but will have to learn more efficient techniques for husbanding a larger plot, and trying to build up the soil. Another difference is the climate; twenty miles from Lake Superior makes a big difference. Colder nights, warmer days, probably a shorter season from the last spring frost until the first autumn frost. But I can learn; I can observe and think and experiment and ask the advice of veterans. It's earth, and it gives life, and it is good.

No comments: