Saturday, February 19, 2000

0124

As I hang the first load, I think I must have chosen the worst possible day to do laundry: chilly, cloudy, damp, calm, and even snowing slightly. But I just want clean sheets, with or without cooperative weather.

Now I'm hanging the last load, and a breeze has come up, it's getting warmer, the sun is about to appear... looks like I've lucked out, after all.

After lunch, I go back to the south woods to fell a few more trees for firewood. I come across a small ash that appears to be recently dead, still standing up, the wood still pretty sound. Or so it seems. A few blows with the ax, I hear a crack!, and look up reactively toward the sound, just in time to catch a falling branch squarely on my forehead. Ow! It bleeds pretty good, but otherwise I'm fine. Here's another lesson for this rookie to learn: be careful about dead tree branches. I just hope I don't bleed tonight on my clean bed linens.

Back at the house, I get the dried laundry in, and get the mail. A letter from my friend Jack and another from my niece. Some points are raised regarding consumerism, and some other moral and political issues; I would like to respond, after having digested and thought about it.

No comments: