Friday, November 5, 1999

0100

Have made good progress in cutting up that pile of old oak logs. Some of it rotten, but I pick around that.

I wake up this morning with a little queasiness, make some chamomile tea, and break a jar in the process - not a good way to start the day. And, since I finish the bread at breakfast, I have to get 4 loaves kneaded & rising before I finally get outside.

Getting close to the end of the oak, and have over 2 cords of good firewood chopped and piled for burning this winter. After finishing with this oak, I'll have to cut up the new trees just felled, and then keep going, so I can get wood to season for next year, too.

Indoors at dusk for supper and a good fire. A little too good tonight... to get a fast start, I overload the firebox with corrugated and dry sticks, and soon the fire is roaring so hard that the stovepipe starts to glow red. I hurriedly damper, and things settle down. I'm learning, I'm learning.

No comments: